The Driving Force Behind Google Local SEO is CitationsPosted by oicadmin on 02/15/13
Tags: links , google local , directories , citations , local seo , seo
When it comes to off-page SEO (which makes up a majority of Google's ranking algorithm,) it's all about building and earning links to a webpage.
However, what most businesses fail to realize about off-page SEO is that citations are essential to uplift rankings in the Google Local Search results.
Although links might be more influential in Google’s organic search algorithm, citations are the bee's knees to rank higher in the local results (the listings accompanied by the Google map with little red pins.)
A citation is simply a mention or reference of your business's name or contact information somewhere on the web. A few examples of where you can find quality citations include:
- social listings, such as LinkedIn or Google+ Local
- Yellow Pages directory listings
- review site listings, such as Yelp or Manta
- local chamber of commerce
- other web directory listings, such as Superpages
Citations can have a momentous impact on a business's local SEO rankings. Even when there's no link included with a citation, Google still recognizes the mention of your business and factors-in the search engine value as a result.
Why Citations are Critical for Local SEO
Local companies that rack-up tons of citations on other websites can spike their Google local search ranking. Some of the primary reasons why Google values quality citation are:
- Community Value – Citations show that your business is a part of community on the web. In a sense, you're establishing legitimacy with Google by proving your business is real and engaged on various other websites.
- Validity & Legitimacy – Citations are sign of validity, which is arguably the main reason why Google’s local search algorithm factors-in citations.
- Niche Industries & Professions – Citations are ideal for businesses in a smaller industries or professions. Google recognizes the source of your business's citations. So if you're chiropractic business has listings on chiropractor directory sites, the value only increases.
Discovering opportunities to build citations is now always easy, and going about building them can seem like a monotonous task. Fortunately we've compiled a nice list of resources for you to use. Dedicate a block of time in your day to build 1 or 2 citations of these websites. In time, you can see your Google Local Search ranking increase for the keywords that drive quality traffic to your website.
Before you start building citations, you should ensure that you have properly set-up a Google Plus Local page for you business. This is the foundation and will help magnify the impact of your citation building efforts.