Blog items tagged with "social-signals"
Tags: seo , google , social media , social signals , influencers , content marketing , content strategy
Although Google continues to tighten-up rankings algorithm as it rolls-out the latest Penguin 3.0 update, the grand scheme of SEO has never been more predictable. For smart SEO's, it is now easier than ever to understand and gauge exactly what it takes to get a website ranked at the top.
Here at OIC Group, we've been on the forefront of SEO best practices for the last few years. Our methodology and resources have adapted significantly over that time, and righteously so, as the success stories we're helping clients create have been as plentiful as ever.
If you're going into 2015 with SEO as a means to drive traffic to your website, then this article is for you. Below we share some powerful SEO insights that can help you actualize a successful strategy for the new year.
Become an Authority: Carve a Niche Within a Niche
There are a couple ways you can view this. If you run a local business, you'll want to strive toward being the local authority for the products and services that you have to offer. If the local market is a little saturated or presents some tough competition, perhaps focus on one or two specific products/services as the core of your company. For instance, if you offer well water services, maybe you should make well drilling the primary core of your business.
If you're business targets a wider market (and thus contends with many other related businesses,) then you need to carve a very fine niche. For example, a few months ago OIC Group created a niche SEO company targeting surgeons (www.OptimizedSurgeons.com). Some might think that a company that provides SEO services specifically for surgeons is pretty darn niche. However, we have gotten even more targeted and carved a niche within a niche. That is, we focus our business model and its resources on providing SEO services for surgeons who provide breast augmentation, implants, and other related cosmetic surgeries?
This approach enables us to provide premium quality SEO programs that deliver outstanding results. Further, we can attract breast surgeon prospects with highly-targeted Facebook ads. In essence, we can target surgery professionals with specific credentials and affiliations, and serve them ads that say "Could You Handle 3-5 Breast Implant Patients per Month?" Carving a niche within a niche is a win-win for SEO and Internet marketing.
Develop a Content Strategy: Be a Problem Solver, Solution Provider, Educator, and/or Inspiration
A couple years ago, developing a content strategy would go hand-in-hand with SEO and keyword targets. For instance, if we were targeting a keyword like "computer repair shop," then we might create content around topics like "5 Questions to Ask a Computer Repair Shop Before Hiring Them." These keyword-focused articles would help to establish greater keyword relevancy.
While the latter approach does still work, the focus should go beyond just keywords. Instead, focus on creating content that offers value and meaning to your target audience. The objective is induce reactions like "hmmmm, interesting" and "ah ha!" These reactions are what build faith and credibility in your business while prompting your audience to like, share, tweet, +1, or pin your content (attributing it with social signals - a growing factor in Google's search engine algorithm.)
Step-up Your Social Presence
Social media is emerging more and more in the SEO scene, as social signals (Likes, +1's, Shares, Pins, Tweets, and Re-Tweets) serve as a sound mechanism for Google to valuate legit content. Social signals are becoming increasingly vital for SEO, and many smart businesses are developing and expanding their social presence.
The underlying challenge for most SEO's and web marketers is accumulating a sufficient number of followers to engage a sufficient level of interaction (to naturally earn social signals.) Facebook and Twitter both offer advertising solutions which provide a means to earn greater exposure and more followers. But doing it naturally is tough. Regardless, some level of investment (whether it be money, time, or effort in actualizing a viral-driven content strategy) will be required.
To become more popular naturally, we suggest making a list of some of the top influencers in your market. You can leverage influencers to help spread awareness of your content, or perhaps see if they're interested in a guest blogging relationship. This in itself is not easy, so go embrace this idea with a what's in it for them mentality.
For more specific and actionable insights for your 2015 SEO strategy, contact us to inquire about a free, no-obligation audit of your website.
Tags: social media , google , local seo , citations , facebook , twitter , google+ , social signals
It goes without question that social media now has a significant influence on Google's search engine rankings.
"Social signals," (also commonly referred to as "social indicators") are redefining how Google values quality, rank-worthy content, and thus the best practices of SEO. These are the Facebook Likes, Google +1's, Tweets, Pins, Shares, etc. that you often see on blog posts.
That's not to say other ranking factors, such as inbound links and keyword relevancy, do not play a role in the SEO practice. But rather, SEO has becoming very socially integrated.
In order to achieve top search engine rankings, it's critical that you understand how social media impacts the game. Below we reveal some of the primary ways social media shapes SEO.
How Social Media Influences SEO
Of course social media in itself serves as a powerful marketing medium. However indirectly, social media can contribute to better search rankings.
- Social Signals - This one's worth repeating. As a webpage earns more social signals, Google finds the page to have greater value and authority (and thus better ranking potential.) In addition to having a strong social media presence, you'll want to share your prized website content from time to time. This will help generate social favor (and thus SEO value) for your domain.
- Citations - Also known as "mentions," are simply a company's name, address, and phone number found on other websites. From Google's perspective, citations represent greater credibility and legitimacy in a website. This is particularly influential for local SEO and increasing a business' listing in Google's local search results. Social media sites are a simple way to build citations.
- Backlinks - These are inbound links that stem from other domains (such as a Twitter or Pinterest profile page.) Backlinks have been a huge topic of discussion in the SEO community. Now more than ever, it's important to generate backlinks organically. Building a presence on various social media sites is perfectly natural way to generate backlinks to your website.
Quick Tips to Leverage Social Media for SEO
- Build a blog, produce awesome content, and share it with your social audience.
- Leverage Google Authorship in your content marketing practice.
- At the very least, include Google+, Twitter, and Facebook in your social media portfolio. These social sites have the largest volume of users, and offer the greatest potential to generate social signals.
- Integrate social sharing icons on your pages to make it easy for visitors to Like, +1, or Share your awesome content.
- Reach out and build an strong, loyal community of social followers. This will only magnify your ability to generate social signals, as well as make your profile page an SEO asset in itself (social profile pages can rank very well in Google search.) You can use promoted tweets on Twitter, or Facebook advertising to help building your audience.