Blog items tagged with "facebook"
Tags: social media , google , local seo , citations , facebook , twitter , google+ , social signals
It goes without question that social media now has a significant influence on Google's search engine rankings.
"Social signals," (also commonly referred to as "social indicators") are redefining how Google values quality, rank-worthy content, and thus the best practices of SEO. These are the Facebook Likes, Google +1's, Tweets, Pins, Shares, etc. that you often see on blog posts.
That's not to say other ranking factors, such as inbound links and keyword relevancy, do not play a role in the SEO practice. But rather, SEO has becoming very socially integrated.
In order to achieve top search engine rankings, it's critical that you understand how social media impacts the game. Below we reveal some of the primary ways social media shapes SEO.
How Social Media Influences SEO
Of course social media in itself serves as a powerful marketing medium. However indirectly, social media can contribute to better search rankings.
- Social Signals - This one's worth repeating. As a webpage earns more social signals, Google finds the page to have greater value and authority (and thus better ranking potential.) In addition to having a strong social media presence, you'll want to share your prized website content from time to time. This will help generate social favor (and thus SEO value) for your domain.
- Citations - Also known as "mentions," are simply a company's name, address, and phone number found on other websites. From Google's perspective, citations represent greater credibility and legitimacy in a website. This is particularly influential for local SEO and increasing a business' listing in Google's local search results. Social media sites are a simple way to build citations.
- Backlinks - These are inbound links that stem from other domains (such as a Twitter or Pinterest profile page.) Backlinks have been a huge topic of discussion in the SEO community. Now more than ever, it's important to generate backlinks organically. Building a presence on various social media sites is perfectly natural way to generate backlinks to your website.
Quick Tips to Leverage Social Media for SEO
- Build a blog, produce awesome content, and share it with your social audience.
- Leverage Google Authorship in your content marketing practice.
- At the very least, include Google+, Twitter, and Facebook in your social media portfolio. These social sites have the largest volume of users, and offer the greatest potential to generate social signals.
- Integrate social sharing icons on your pages to make it easy for visitors to Like, +1, or Share your awesome content.
- Reach out and build an strong, loyal community of social followers. This will only magnify your ability to generate social signals, as well as make your profile page an SEO asset in itself (social profile pages can rank very well in Google search.) You can use promoted tweets on Twitter, or Facebook advertising to help building your audience.
Tags: facebook advertising , facebook , social media , advertising
Facebook is surely one of the heaviest hitters amongst the social media sphere. The sheer population of Facebook users makes it a must-pursue marketing avenue for all types of companies, especially small businesses. Additionally, the targeting capabilities are so powerful that you can create focal ads that result in jaw-dropping click-through rates.
In this blog post, you will learn some profound Facebook advertising tips that will help your small business achieve a number of marketing goals. Whether you want to increase the number of page "Likes," drive pre-qualified leads to your website, or promote an event, the possibilities with Facebook advertising are abundant.
Define Your "KPI"
Before building your Facebook ads, it's important that you first determine the KPI for the campaign. KPI, or Key Performance Indicator, is how you measure the success of your advertising campaign.
Some of the most common KPI's for Facebook advertisers are:
- Earning more page "Likes"
- Gaining more opt-in's on a squeeze page
- Attract new customers
By defining the KPI of your Facebook ads, you'll have a better direction as to how to present your ad and tailor you copy. In essence, KPI's underscore the purpose of your ads.
Don't Bother With Side-Column Facebook Ads
The fact of the matter is, side-column Facebook ads receive the lowest click-through rates and the lowest levels of engagement. Facebook users are socializing, not shopping or actively looking for something. It's important to be mindful of this when trying to advertise with social media.
It's agreed upon by countless Internet marketers that these side-column ads are waste of time, effort, and ad spend. We recommend using other, more effective options (which we describe below.)
Instead, Advertise via the Facebook Feed
Rather than using the side-column space, tailor your Facebook advertising campaigns to display as promoted posts in users' feeds. This provides better quality ad impressions, and thus offers the highest click-through rates.
After selecting this option, choose to "Create New Page Post" under the Your Ad section. Here's where you'll write your awesome ad copy. Remember, your audience is in a completely different mind-set on Facebook. Direct promotions and sales pushes are often overlooked.
Avoid the Hard Sell & Get Creative
Keep in mind your KPI when tailoring your ad and think creatively about how you can grab the attention of your audience.
One of the best questions to ask yourself is "what's in it for them?"
What's truly going to compel a user to convert or take action on your ad? Do you have something to offer? Can you share something inspiring or insightful that helps earn their respect?
Take some time to get creative. Advertising via Facebook is effective, but you must have clear and righteous intentions in how you present your business.
Get Uber-Targeted with Your Ads
The beauty behind Facebook advertising is ability to target users based on various demographics and interests. If you're advertising for a small business with a local market focus, you'll certainly want to define location of your audience.
In addition to age, you can also specify certain interests and likes. Keep in mind that the more confined your audience location is, the less targeted you'll need to get with precise interests. Take note of the audience reach near the top right. The more refined your ad's targeting settings, the less impressions it will receive.
Download Ads to Facecbook's Power Editor
After you've created your Facebook ad, you'll want to use the Power Editor to really fine-tune aspects of the ad.
Click the Power Editor option in the left hand navigation of the Facebook Ads interface. Then, in the top right of the screen, click the "download" option to migrate all of your ads to the Power Editor interface.
Under the Power Editor interface, you can manage just about everything with your ads. One of the most important components to address is the bidding technique and pricing settings.
After selecting an ad in the far left column, choose the "Pricing & Status" option in the neighboring left side column.
Here you can set your pricing structure to be CPC, CPM or optimized CPM. We suggest using CPC or optimized CPM to have the greatest amount of control over your ad bidding and overall expenditure.
About the Author
Tyler Tafelsky is the Internet marketing manager here at OIC Group. Tyler is highly engaged in social media marketing, SEO, content marketing, and PPC advertising. You can email him directly at Tyler(at)oicgroup.net or follow him on Twitter.